Ever since I was a child my favorite Mr. Rogers story has been about helpers:
“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.”
While Mr. Rogers applied this to disaster situations, I’ve found it applicable in my line of work. I am a doula, childbirth educator, and lactation counselor. I am a helper. The women who are part of Columbus Birth & Parenting are natural helpers too.
Helping: this is the value doulas bring to pregnant women and families. We help a pregnant woman prepare for her upcoming birth. We help her and her partner during labor by being a constant presence, recommending coping techniques, and offering reassurance and encouragement. After the baby arrives we help her with feeding and bonding. In the postpartum period, we assist in taking care of the new mother so she can focus on building a new relationship. Most importantly, the help we provide is the help she needs, without judgment.
When we look for new people to join the Columbus Birth & Parenting family, we look for two things: someone who has a natural desire to be a helper and who is also a professional.
What does it mean to be a professional? For our doulas, it means they’re either pre-certified or certified with ProDoula. ProDoula is one of many certifying bodies that train and credential individuals to be professional doulas.
You might ask, “if Columbus Birth & Parenting is all about supporting clients’ personal choices, then why do they NOT allow a choice in who their doulas are trained and certified by?” When it comes to the professionals who are caring for our clients, our standards are high! It is important to us that the clients we serve and the medical professionals whom we work with know they can expect the highest level of professionalism.
In my opinion, ProDoula’s curriculum creates a knowledgeable and professional doula. The curriculum is robust, the standards of excellence are high, and members are offered mentoring and professional support.
ProDoula’s philosophy and curriculum are aligned with our philosophy at Columbus Birth & Parenting. In my opinion, ProDoula’s competitive advantages are as follows:
- Professional and judgement-free support is the cornerstone of their philosophy.
- Standardized Training: everyone learns the same information no matter which ProDoula training is attended.
- ProDoula’s certification process is the most rigorous and in-depth I’ve seen.
- Understanding Communication Styles: Training includes the keys to understanding communication styles, so you can tailor your support to each individual client’s unique needs.
- ProDoula stands behind their doulas from the moment they attend a training. Once you complete a ProDoula worksop, you are a Pre-Certified ProDoula and they proudly list you on their website.
- ProDoula believes in supporting their doulas just as much as their doulas support birthing and postpartum women. They provide much-needed mentorship, guidance, support, and cheerleading to all of their doulas.
- Responsive: Have a question? Pick up the phone and call them or shoot them an email. They’ll get back to you within 24 hours. Need guidance? Send your trainer a Facebook message or ask in the ProDoula Facebook group. They are here for you, so you can be there for your client.
Columbus Birth & Parenting is looking for amazing individuals to join us in our mission of supporting pregnant women and families here in central Ohio. ProDoula can train a fantastic individual to be a fantastic doula. As helpers passionate about supporting women and families, we enter this field with the desire to “do more”. We stay because the work is meaningful. Columbus Birth & Parenting wants to help you make it your career!